Security Deposit Demand Letter (Interactive Form)


By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)

Use a free interactive program to help you write a letter to your landlord asking for your security deposit back.
Resource Information

Before You Start

This form letter asks your prior landlord to return your security deposit. You can use this letter if you:

  • Moved out less than 30 days ago,
  • Moved out more than 30 days ago; AND
    • The landlord did not give any part of your security deposit back, or gave you less than you think you deserve; OR
    • The landlord did not give you a list of deductions (charges) made from your security deposit, or you disagree with the list of deductions the landlord gave you.

When you’re done, you’ll need to download, print, and send the letter to your old landlord. The letter comes with information on your housing rights and what you can do if your landlord refuses to give you back your security deposit or if you don’t agree with how much they return to you. You can find the link to the interactive Security Deposit Demand Letter at the end of this page

What you’ll need to complete the form

The form takes about 10 to 20 minutes to complete. You can create an account to stop, save, and return to your answers at a later date.

When completing the form, you’ll need the following information: 

  • Your contact information;
  • Your old landlord or property manager’s contact information;
  • The date you moved out and/or your lease ended;
  • List of charges the landlord took from your security deposit (if any). 

You can use this interactive letter on your smart phone but you’ll want to print it to send to your old landlord. At the end of the form, you’ll have the option to save it to a secure website or email it to yourself for later. 

These forms are not right for everyone. The program may tell you to talk to a lawyer based on the information you give. 

Need more information?

If you have any questions about your rights or this letter, it would be a good idea to read our article “How to Protect Your Security Deposit.

Need legal help?

Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.

Find more resources using our interactive Legal Guide.
Last Updated

Last review and update: