Petition for Name Change - Adult, Minor, or Sealed (Interactive Form)


By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)

Use a free interactive program to create a Petition for Name Change for an adult, child, or when your safety is at risk.
Resource Information

Before You Start

You can use the interactive Petition for Name Change to create the forms to ask a District Court Judge in Montana for a:

  • Name Change for an Adult,
  • Name Change for a Minor Child, or
  • Name Change under a Sealed Record (for when your safety is at risk).

When you’re done, you’ll need to download, print, and file the forms with the Clerk of District Court in the county where the person changing their name lives. The forms come with instructions to help you file them and publish proper notice (if needed). You can find the link to the interactive Petition for Name Change at the end of this page. 

What if I’m leaving a violent relationship?

There are a few important things to know if you are leaving a violent or abusive relationship. The end of a violent relationship is sometimes the most dangerous point for the victim and children. There may be free legal and non-legal help for people leaving a domestic violence relationship. It is a good idea to come up with a safety plan. You may also want to look into getting an Order of Protection. It is important to know that the Court may base some of its decisions on safety concerns for the parents and/or children. 

What you’ll need to complete the form

The form will take you about 15 to 30 minutes to complete. You can create an account to stop, save, and return to your answers at a later date. 

When completing the form, you’ll need the following information for the person whose name you’re changing:

  • Current legal name
  • New name
  • Current address
  • Place of birth (city, county, and state)
  • Date of birth
  • Address of closest relatives (if both parents are dead)
  • Reason for name change
  • Reason for safety risk (if asking for a sealed record).

You can complete this form on your smart phone but you’ll need to print it out before you can file it with the Clerk of District Court. At the end of the form, you’ll have the option to save it to a secure website or email it to yourself for later. 

This form isn’t right for everyone. The program may tell you to talk to a lawyer based on the information you give. 

Need more information?

If you have any questions about your rights or this form, it would be a good idea to read our article “What is a name Change?”. 

Need legal help?

Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.

Find more resources using our interactive Legal Guide.
Last Updated

Last review and update: