Petition for Name and Gender Change for a Minor (write-in-the-blank)


By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)

Download free write-in-the blank forms to ask the court to legally change your child's name and gender.
Resource Information

Before You Start

** Disclaimer (Updated on 2/23/24) **

Right now you cannot use these forms to change your sex marker on your birth certificate. We will update this page when a final ruling is made.


You can use the Petition for Name and Gender Change for a Minor to ask a judge to legally change your child’s name and gender. You must file the forms with the Clerk of District Court in the County where your child resides. The forms come with instructions to help you fill them out correctly. 

Need More Information?

If you have any questions about these letters or legally changing your gender, it would be a good idea to take a look at our TransForm Name and Gender Change packet

Need Legal Help?

Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.

Find more resources using our interactive Legal Guide.
Last Updated

Last review and update: