Petition for Dissolution of Marriage (interactive form)


By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)

Petition for Dissolution of Marriage (interactive form)
Resource Information

Before You Start

You can use the interactive Petition for Dissolution of Marriage to create free court forms that you can use to file for a divorce in Montana. The interactive form will create the forms you need if you have children from the marriage.  The interactive program will fill in the forms based on the answers you give in an online interview. 

When you’re done, you’ll need to download, print, and file the forms with the Clerk of District Court. The forms will come with instructions to help you file them and serve the other parent. You can find the link to the interactive Petition for Dissolution of Marriage at the end of this article. 

What if the other parent has hurt me or the children?

There are a few important things to know if you are leaving a violent or abusive relationship. The end of a violent relationship is sometimes the most dangerous point for the victim and children. There may be free legal and non-legal help for people leaving a domestic violence relationship. It is a good idea to come up with a safety plan. You may also want to look into getting an Order of Protection. It is important to know that the Court may base some of its decisions on safety concerns for the parents and/or children

Local forms

Some courts prefer that you use their local forms. You can find local forms for the 21st Judicial District in Ravalli County on their website. 

You can ask the Clerk of Court if there are local forms they prefer you use.

What you’ll need before starting the form

  • You should read the Ultimate DIY Guide to Divorce and Custody in Montana before starting this program. 
  • If you have children from your marriage, you must have a child support calculation or order in effect before using this program. When completing the program, you should have your child support case number available. You can use this resource from DPHHS to calculate your child support: Child Support Worksheets and Instructions. You can read more about Child and Medical Support Orders here.
  • Before you get started, you can complete a worksheet to gather all of the information the program will ask you when completing the forms. Download the Questions to Answer Before You Go Online.
  • You can use the interactive forms on your smart phone but we recommend a desktop computer because of the time it takes to complete. 

Information you’ll need when completing the form

  • You and your spouse's name, address and birthdate;
  • Your marriage date, location, and where it was registered;
  • Your separation date;
  • A complete list of personal property owned by you and/or your spouse, and its value;
  • A complete list of real property (land and/or home) owned by you and/or your spouse, including its estimated value;
  • A complete list of all bank accounts, retirement accounts, stocks, bonds, etc. owned by you and/or your spouse, including estimated value;
  • A list of all businesses held by you and/or your spouse, including estimated value;
  • A list of any other assets (boats, mobile homes, etc.) owned by you and/or your spouse, including estimated value;
  • A complete list of all debts owed by you or your spouse, including creditor name and amount owed;
  • A list of monthly expenses; and
  • A list of monthly income.

Information you'll need if you have children

  • Children's names, birthdates, and addresses for the last 5 years;
  • What you want the other parent to have for parenting time;
  • A child support calculation or order; 
  • Medical and health insurance information for your children;
  • What to do if there is a change in circumstances; and
  • How you want to serve the other parent with your petition.

Saving your answers

The forms will take you about 45 to 90 minutes to complete. You can create an account to stop, save, and return to your answers at a later date.

Need more information?

If you have any questions about your rights or this form, it would be a good idea to read our Ultimate DIY Guide to Divorce and Custody in Montana

Need legal help?

Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help

Find more resources using our interactive Legal Guide.
Last Updated

Last review and update: