Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit Program


By: Montana Department of Revenue

Learn about how you may qualify for a tax credit up to $1,150, even if you made no income.
Resource Information

What is the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit?

The Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit is a Montana income tax credit up to $1,150 for seniors who rent or own a home in Montana, even if they don’t make any income.

How do I qualify?

You are eligible for this credit if you:

  • Are 62 or older on December 31,
  • Lived in Montana for at least 9 months,
  • Live in the same home for at least six months, and
  • Have a household income under $45,000.

Do I need to make any income to qualify?

No. Many seniors miss out on this refund because they don’t file a tax return since they don’t make any income. To get the refund, you must file your income taxes, even if you made no income last year. 

What happens if someone takes my tax refund?

If someone takes your tax refund you only have 10 days to file court paperwork to ask for it back. You may be able to get it back with free help from Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)

Take Action

Learn More

You can learn more about the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit Program from the Montana Department of Revenue

Get Legal Help

If you live outside of Montana, you’ll want to look for free legal help in your state

Legal Forms

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) publishes many of its forms online for free.  

Find more resources using our interactive Legal Guide.
Last Updated

Last review and update: