Domestic Violence and Human Trafficking

Information and Forms

Other Immigration Problems

Warning! An abuser can track your computer and Internet use. Use the "Hide Your Visit" tab at the right-hand side of the screen to leave this page (you will be redirected to a search box.) Learn more about using a safer computer and keeping your computer sessions private.

Need this information in another language? Visit Google Translate. Be aware that legal terms may not translate accurately. Do not rely on the translation for legal information or advice. Always seek the advice of an attorney before taking legal action. You can call MLSA at 1-800-666-6899 and ask for help from an interpreter to get more information on your legal issue.


¡Advertencia! Un abusador puede seguir su uso de la computadora e Internet. Utilice el enlace "Hide Your Visit" (Oculte su visita) en el lado derecho de la pantalla para salir de esta página (Será redirigido a un cuadro de búsqueda.) Encuentre más información sobre el uso de una computadora más segura y como mantener sus sesiones en la computadora privadas aquí.

¿Necesita esta información en otro idioma? Visite Google Translate. Tenga en cuenta que las traducciones de términos legales pueden no ser correctos. No confíe solo en estas traducciones para información o asesoría legal. Siempre busque el consejo de un abogado antes de tomar acción legal. Usted puede llamar a Servicios Legales de Montana (MLSA) al 1-800-666-6899 y pedir la ayuda de un intérprete para obtener más información sobre su problema legal.

10 Resource(s) Found

VAWA Laws and Procedures

This page includes information for obtaining legal status if you are married to an abusive US citizen or lawful permanent resident.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) permits an abused child of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to self-petition for a green card without the cooperation of the abuser.

Battered Spouse, Children, and Parents

As a battered spouse, child or parent, you may file an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

Do you have problems at home? Surviving domestic abuse in the USA

Read about your rights in this country. Call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) for help.

T Visa Laws for Trafficking Victims

A T-visa gives temporary nonimmigrant status to victims of "severe forms of human trafficking" on the condition that they help law enforcement officials investigate and prosecute crimes related to human trafficking. However, if the victim is under 18 years of age, the law does not require cooperation with police to obtain a T-visa.

U Visa Laws for Crime Victims

This page includes information about obtaining lawful status if you are the victim of certain crimes (including domestic abuse) and can obtain a certification that you are, have been or will be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.

Victims of Criminal Activity: U Nonimmigrant Status

The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.

Victims of Human Trafficking: T Nonimmigrant Status

Human trafficking, also known as trafficking in persons, is a form of modern-day slavery in which traffickers lure individuals with false promises of employment and a better life. Traffickers often take advantage of poor, unemployed individuals who lack access to social services. The T Nonimmigrant Status (T visa) is a set aside for those who are or have been victims of human trafficking, protects victims of human trafficking and allows victims to remain in the United States to assist in an investigation or prosecution of human trafficking.

Back to top