We don't have a parenting plan. Do we have equal rights to see our child?

Yes. Parents usually have equal parenting rights until a court says that they don't. You can ask a court to make a parenting plan. The parenting plan will decide how you and the other parent will share parenting duties. Parenting plans are required during a divorce. They are useful for parents who are not married, too. You and the other parent may be able to agree on all or part of the parenting plan. The judge will decide about the parts of the plan you can't agree on.

Where do I find more info about parenting plans?

To learn more about what the law says about parenting plans, read the Introduction to Family Law in Montana.

Where do I find the form for a divorce or parenting plan?

You can complete fill-in-the blank forms for a Parenting Plan or Divorce. You can also complete a Petition for a Parenting Plan or Divorce using our online interactive forms.

How do I get more help?

Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides free civil legal help to low-income people. Contact us to see if you qualify:

  • Apply anytime online at mtlsa.org;
  • Call our Helpline at 1-800-666-6899 (Helpline hours are limited).

What help can I find at MLSA?

  • Legal advice and representation;
  • Referrals to volunteer attorneys and other providers;
  • Self-help clinics and materials.
Last Review and Update: Jul 25, 2017
Back to top