Registration of a Foreign Order (Interactive Form)

Before You Start


You can use the interactive Registration of a Foreign Order to create a form to ask a District Court in Montana to decide that Montana should have jurisdiction to enforce a custody or parenting order from another state.

When you’re done, you’ll need to download, print, and file the forms with the Clerk of District Court in the county where you live. The form comes with instructions to help you file it and serve the other parent. You can find the link to the interactive Registration of Foreign Order at the end of this page. 


What if the other parent has hurt me or the children? 

There are a few important things to know if you are leaving a violent or abusive relationship. The end of a violent relationship is sometimes the most dangerous point for the victim and children. There may be free legal and non-legal help for people leaving a domestic violence relationship. It is a good idea to come up with a safety plan. You may also want to look into getting an Order of Protection. It is important to know that the Court may base some of its decisions on safety concerns for the parents and/or children.


What you’ll need to complete the form

The form will take you about 10 to 20 minutes to complete. You can create an account to stop, save, and return to your answers at a later date. 

When completing the form, you’ll need the following information: 

  • A certified copy of the judgment or order from the other state that you’re registering
  • The name and address of the other parent
  • The name and address of anyone else awarded custody, visitation, or parenting time.

You can complete this form on your smart phone but you’ll need to print it out before you can file it with the Clerk of Court. At the end of the form, you’ll have the option to save it to a secure website or email it to yourself for later. 

This form isn’t right for everyone. The program may tell you to talk to a lawyer based on the information you give. 


Need more information?

If you have any questions about your rights or this form, it would be a good idea to read our article How to Register Your Parenting or Custody Order in Montana (FAQ & Forms)


Need legal help?

Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.



Last Review and Update: Jan 31, 2022
Back to top