Petition for Parenting Plan (interactive form)
Authored By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)
Before You Start
You can use the interactive Petition for Parenting Plan to create free court forms that you may file in Montana. The interactive program will fill in the forms based on the answers you give in an online interview.
When you’re done, you’ll need to download, print, and file the forms with the Clerk of District Court. The forms will come with instructions to help you file them and serve the other parent. You can find the link to the interactive Petition for Parenting Plan at the bottom of this page.
What if the other parent has hurt me or the children?
There are a few important things to know if you are leaving a violent or abusive relationship. The end of a violent relationship is sometimes the most dangerous point for the victim and children. There may be free legal and non-legal help for people leaving a domestic violence relationship. It is a good idea to come up with a safety plan. You may also want to look into getting an Order of Protection. It is important to know that the Court may base some of its decisions on safety concerns for the parents and/or children.
What you’ll need before starting the form
- You should read the Ultimate DIY Guide to Divorce and Custody in Montana before starting this program.
- If you have children from your marriage, you must have a child support calculation or order in effect before using this program. When completing the program, you should have your child support case number available. You can complete a child support calculation to submit to the court using the Montana Online Child Support Calculator.
- Before you get started, you can complete a worksheet to gather all of the information the program will ask you when completing the forms. Download the Questions to Answer Before You Go Online.
- You can use the interactive forms on your smart phone but we recommend a desktop computer because of the time it takes to complete.
Information you’ll need when completing the form
- The other parent's full legal name, year of birth, and address;
- Children's names, birthdates, and addresses for the last 5 years;
- What you want the other parent to have for parenting time;
- A child support calculation or order;
- Medical and health insurance information for your children;
- What to do if there is a change in circumstances; and
- How you want to serve the other parent with your petition.
Saving your answers
The forms will take you about 45 to 90 minutes to complete. You can create an account to stop, save, and return to your answers at a later date.
Need more information?
If you have any questions about your rights or this form, it would be a good idea to read our Ultimate DIY Guide to Divorce and Custody in Montana.
Need legal help?
Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.