3 Ways to Apply for Free Legal Help in Montana
Authored By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)
How do I get free legal help in Montana?
Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides free civil, non-criminal legal help to eligible clients in Montana. The best way to find out how we can help you is to apply for services. You can apply:
- Through our online intake
- By calling our Helpline at 1-800-666-6899, Monday - Friday, 9am to 1pm
- Visiting one of our offices in Billings, Helena, or Missoula, Monday - Thursday, 9am to 12pm or 1pm to 4:30pm.
What questions will you ask?
MLSA will ask you questions about your household income, assets, citizenship status, and information about your legal problem to determine if you are eligible. We keep all of your information confidential.
What happens after the online intake?
After MLSA gets your online intake, someone will call you to complete your application. We block our calls to protect your privacy, so expect a call from a blocked or restricted number within 3 business days after you complete the online intake.
What help will I get?
If you qualify for free legal aid from MLSA, we may:
- Schedule an appointment for you to talk with an attorney for free.
- Give you written information about your legal rights.
- Ask you to send us more information about your case.
- Refer you to a free attorney or a self-help center.
MLSA is not able to provide an attorney to everyone who qualifies for services. To find out if we can help, complete our online intake.
Tips for your application:
- Make sure to give MLSA a good phone number to reach you during normal business hours (8:30am-5:00pm).
- If you cannot answer the call, MLSA will leave you a message. Make sure you have room in your voicemail.
- If you do not hear from MLSA within 3 business days after applying online, you can call the Helpline at 1-800-666-6899. We answer the Helpline Monday - Friday, 9am to 1pm. If you have already applied, you can leave a message after hours and someone will call you back.
We respect your privacy and dignity. All your information is kept confidential by Montana Legal Services Association. MLSA will never share any of your information without your consent.