3 Ways to Apply for Free Legal Help in Montana
How do I get free legal help in Montana?
Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides free civil, non-criminal legal help to eligible clients in Montana. The best way to find out how we can help you is to apply for services. You can apply:
- Through our online intake.
- By calling our Helpline at 1-800-666-6899, Tuesday- Thursday, 9am to 1pm. You can only leave a voicemail at these times. If you do not reach an intake specialist, please call again or use our online intake.
What questions will you ask?
MLSA will ask you questions about your household income, assets, citizenship status, and information about your legal problem to determine if you are eligible. We keep all of your information confidential.
What happens after the online intake?
After MLSA gets your online intake, someone will call you to complete your application. We block our calls to protect your privacy, so expect a call from a blocked or restricted number within a week after you complete the online intake.
What help will I get?
If you qualify for free legal aid from MLSA, we may:
- Schedule an appointment for you to talk with an attorney for free.
- Give you written information about your legal rights.
- Ask you to send us more information about your case.
- Refer you to a free attorney or a self-help center.
MLSA is not able to provide an attorney to everyone who qualifies for services. To find out if we can help, complete our online intake.
Tips for your application:
- Make sure to give MLSA a good phone number to reach you during normal business hours (8:30am through 5:00pm).
- If you cannot answer the call, MLSA will leave you a message. Make sure you have room in your voicemail.
- If you do not hear from MLSA within one week after applying online, you can call the Helpline at 1-800-666-6899. We answer the Helpline Tuesday through Thursday, 9am to 1pm.
We respect your privacy and dignity. All your information is kept confidential by Montana Legal Services Association. MLSA will never share any of your information without your consent.