This form letter asks your landlord to make repairs. You can use this letter if:
- You rent a home, mobile home, lot for your mobile home, or apartment in Montana; and
- At least one of these problems exist in your rental:
- The electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, or other facilities and appliances are not working right;
- There is no running water or reasonable amounts of hot water;
- There is not enough heat in your rental between October 1 and May 1;
- There is no smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector in your rental;
- There is an emergency in your rental and it affects your health and safety; or
- There is a problem in your rental that is not an emergency or one of the problems listed above but it affects your health and safety.
When you’re done, you’ll need to download, print, and send the letter to your landlord. The letter comes with information on your housing rights and what you can do if your landlord refuses to make repairs. You can find the link to the interactive Letter to Landlord Requesting Repairs at the end of this page.
What you’ll need to complete the form
The forms takes about 10 to 20 minutes to complete. You can create an account to stop, save, and return to your answers at a later date.
When completing the forms, you’ll need the following information:
- Your contact information;
- Your landlord or property manager’s contact information;
- A short description of what you need repaired.
You can use this interactive letter on your smart phone but you’ll want to print it to send to your landlord. At the end of the form, you’ll have the option to save it to a secure website or email it to yourself for later.
These forms are not right for everyone. The program may tell you to talk to a lawyer based on the information you give.
Need more information?
If you have any questions about your rights or this form, it would be a good idea to read our article “4 Steps to Take if Your Landlord Won’t Make Repairs.”
Need legal help?
Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.