Income Tax Filing Deadline Extended to July 15
Authored By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)
The deadline for filing your federal and Montana state tax returns has been extended from April 15 to July 15, 2020.
- Read the official IRS press release.
- Read the official statement from the Montana Department of Revenue.
Free Tax Filing Help
- Find free tax filing help at MontanaFreeFile.org (please note that the availability of Volunteer Income Tax Assistances sites may be affected by COVID-19).
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) publishes many of its forms online for free.
- The Montana Department of Revenue publishes many of its forms online for free.
Get Legal Help
- If you live outside of Montana, you’ll want to look for free legal help in your state.
- Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) runs a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) that gives low income taxpayers free legal help on federal tax disputes year round. You will need to apply for services to see how LITC can help you.
The Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) listed herein is partially funded through matching grants provided by the Internal Revenue Service pursuant to the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998. Unlike Free File VITA sites, the LITC does not generally provide tax return preparation. The partial funding by the IRS does not imply that the clinics have a preferential relationship with the IRS. The decision of whether to use these clinics is your own and their use will not affect your rights before the IRS.