How to Change or Correct Your Name on a Social Security Card

Authored By: Social Security Administration (SSA)

If you legally change your name, you need to tell Social Security so you can get a new card. If you do not get a new card with your new name on it, you may lose benefits, or delay your tax refund.

Last Review and Update: Jun 14, 2012
Back to top