Health Coverage (Youth & Young Adult Legal Issues Edition)


By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)

Young people need access to physical and mental healthcare to ensure a long, happy, and healthy life.
Resource Information

Health Coverage (Youth & Young Adult Legal Issues Edition)

What options do I have if my family cannot provide me with health insurance?

  • A parent, grandparent, guardian, or other authorized representative can apply for Healthy Montana Kids or Medicaid coverage for you.
  • If you are on your own as a teenager, you may apply for Medicaid on your own behalf.

What if I am 19 years old, on my own, and need medical insurance to help cover the costs associated with my medical care?

  • If you qualify based on your income, you can apply for Medicaid.
  • If you make more than the income guidelines allow for Medicaid, you may qualify for a low-cost plan.

What if I am a young person who is pregnant and does not have health coverage?

  • You should apply for Medicaid to see if you are income eligible.

  • A person who is pregnant should know that all HealthCare.gov and Medicaid plans cover pregnancy and childbirth, even if you were pregnant before you applied.

Public Benefit Health Coverage Programs


Healthy Montana Kids:

  • Health Montana Kids (HMK), provides a free or low-cost health insurance plan coverage to eligible Montana youth, under 19 years of age.
  • Benefits under this program are based on parent of guardian income guidelines.

How to apply?

  • If you are a low-income Montana, you should apply for healthcare assistance through the Department of Health and Human Services.
  • You must take the first step in applying for benefits, however, if you are wrongfully denied, or your current benefits are terminated, you should reach out to MLSA for legal assistance.

Take Action

Legal Help

  • Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides free civil, non-criminal legal help to eligible clients. Apply for free legal help by calling 1-800-666-6899 or applying online.
  • Tribal communities may have additional ways of accessing healthcare through Indian Health Services. If you are a tribal member living in a tribal community, contact MLSA to apply for free legal help on your specific situation at 1-800-666-6899 or by applying online.
  • Contact your nearest Self Help Law Center for free legal information and forms.

Legal Forms

Non-Legal Resources

  • The Youth Homelessness Development Project (YHDP) is designed to support Montana service providers in the development and implementation of a coordinated community approach to preventing and ending youth homelessness. More information is avaliable at the YHDP website.
  • County resource guides provide an up-to-date list of avaliable help centers.

Find more resources using our interactive Legal Guide.
Last Updated

Last review and update:

Related Resources