Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit Program

Authored By: Montana Department of Revenue


What is the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit?

The Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit is a Montana income tax credit up to $1,000 for seniors who rent or own a home in Montana, even if they don’t make any income.

How do I qualify?

You are eligible for this credit if you:

  • Are 62 or older on December 31,
  • Lived in Montana for at least 9 months,
  • Live in the same home for at least six months, and
  • Have a household income under $45,000.


Do I need to make any income to qualify?

No. Many seniors miss out on this refund because they don’t file a tax return since they don’t make any income. To get the refund, you must file your income taxes, even if you made no income last year. 


What happens if someone takes my tax refund? 

If someone takes your tax refund you only have 10 days to file court paperwork to ask for it back. You may be able to get it back with free help from Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)


Take Action


File Your Taxes

You may be able to find free in-person help filing your taxes from a trained volunteer at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site near you


Learn More

You can learn more about the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit Program from the Montana Department of Revenue


Get Legal Help


Legal Forms


The Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) listed herein is partially funded through matching grants provided by the Internal Revenue Service pursuant to the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998. Unlike Free File VITA sites, the LITC does not generally provide tax return preparation. The partial funding by the IRS does not imply that the clinics have a preferential relationship with the IRS. The decision of whether to use these clinics is your own and their use will not affect your rights before the IRS.

Last Review and Update: Feb 11, 2020

Contacting the LiveHelp service...