Do I have to pay our credit card if my ex-spouse did not make the payments?

Yes. If a credit account is in your name, then you will need to make the payments. Making payments on your card will protect your credit. If you have a joint credit card account with your ex-spouse, both of you are responsible for paying the credit card debt. This is true even if a judge has signed divorce papers saying your ex-spouse is responsible for the debt. The credit card company can keep seeking payments from you. If you are thinking about divorce, you may want to talk to your credit card companies about your accounts and options.

Where can I find more info about credit?

You can view a list of resources about credit in our Money Management section.

How do I get more help?

Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides free civil legal help to low-income people. Contact us to see if you qualify:

  • Apply anytime online at;
  • Call our Helpline at 1-800-666-6899 (Helpline hours are limited).

What help can I find at MLSA?

  • Legal advice and representation;
  • Referrals to volunteer attorneys and other providers;
  • Self-help clinics and materials.
Last Review and Update: Jul 25, 2017
Back to top