Complaint to Get Your Security Deposit Back from Your Landlord (write-in-the-blank form)

Before You Start


You can download and fill out our free write-in-the-blank court forms to file a Complaint to Ask for Your Security Deposit Back. Filing this Complaint will start a lawsuit against your past landlord.  


You can use this form if it has been more than 30 days since you moved out and your landlord: 

  • Did not send you anything at all; 
  • Sent you less than you think your landlord owes you; or 
  • Did not refund your full deposit and did not send you a list of deductions from your security deposit within 30 days of when you moved out. 


The forms come with instructions to help you fill them out, file with the Clerk of Court, and serve your past landlord. You can download the Complaint to Ask for Your Security Deposit Back at the bottom of this page. 


Need more information?

The form has instructions on how to fill it out and file it. If you have any questions about your rights or this form, it would be a good idea to check out our article on how to protect your security deposit.


Need legal help?

Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.



Download the Complaint Form

Last Review and Update: Apr 04, 2022
Back to top