4 Things You Can Do To Protect Your Housing


  1. Communicate with your landlord. If you get a notice, don't ignore it. Try to work something out.
  2. Behind on rent? Need help with a security deposit at your new rental? There is still emergency rental assistance available through Montana Housing. Apply online through Montana Housing. You may be able to get help with your application through your local HRDC or Action Inc. The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) has a list of all HRDCs and Action Incs. in Montana.
  3. Know your rental rights. Find free legal information and forms in this website’s housing section
  4. Contact a lawyer if you have questions about your options. You can apply for free legal help from Montana Legal Services Association by calling 1-800-666-6899, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, 9am to 1pm or apply online anytime



Take Action


Rental Assistance


Legal Help

If you have any questions, it is a good idea to talk to a lawyer. 

  • Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) gives free civil, non-criminal legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help
  • If you are eligible for Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA), you may be able to get free legal advice from a volunteer attorney by email using Ask Karla
  • The State Bar Lawyer Referral Service may give you contact information for attorneys who provide, for a fee, the type of assistance you are seeking. You can contact the State Bar Lawyer Referral Service at (406) 449-6577 or montanabar.org



Last Review and Update: Jun 09, 2022
Back to top