Registration of Foreign Order (Write-in-the-Blank Form)

Before You Start


You can use the Registration of Foreign Order to register your parenting plan or custody order from a different state in Montana. Doing so will give Montana the power to enforce your order. You can register your parenting plan or custody order at any District Court in Montana. However, you cannot register the parenting plan or custody order if the case is still ongoing.


The form comes with instructions to help you fill it out, send to the District Court, and serve the other parent a notice that you are registering the parenting plan or custody order. Download the Registration of Foreign Order at the bottom of this page. 


What if the other parent has hurt me or the children? 

There are a few important things to know if you are leaving a violent or abusive relationship. The end of a violent relationship is sometimes the most dangerous point for the victim and children. There may be free legal and non-legal help for people leaving a domestic violence relationship. It is a good idea to come up with a safety plan. You may also want to look into getting an Order of Protection. It is important to know that the Court may base some of its decisions on safety concerns for the parents and/or children. 


Need more information?

The form has instructions on how to fill it out and file it. If you have more questions about your rights or the form, it would be a good idea to read our article How to Register Your Parenting or Custody Order in Montana.


Need legal help?

Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.



Download the Registration of Foreign Order

Última revisión y actualización: Jan 07, 2021
Volver arriba