Farm Workers: Know Your Rights

Farmworkers: Know Your Rights

As an agricultural worker, I have these RIGHTS:

  • To be free from sexual harassment. My supervisors and coworkers should not speak to me or touch me in a sexual manner against my will.
  • To be covered by worker’s compensation if I am hurt on the job.
  • To be free from discrimination and harassment. Police and public officials may not search my vehicle, my person or my home without reason. Public officials, private businesses, and my employer may not discriminate against me because of my race, color, sex, or national origin.
  • If my employer provides housing, to have decent, safe housing. I can have visitors. I can leave my housing freely when I am not on the job.
  • To leave my job, if that is my decision. My employer cannot force me to stay on the job. My employer cannot force me to do something against my will.If I am a foreign worker under the H-2A program, to be paid the amount that is written in my contract with my employer.
  • If I am not a foreign worker under the H-2A program, to be paid at least the hourly minimum wage in Montana, even if I am paid by the piece.
  • If I am an H-2A worker, to only be required to do the type of work that is written in my contract with my employer.

Nobody can:

  • Collect a debt from me by using threats or by forcing me to work.
  • Force or pressure me to perform acts of prostitution or other sexual acts.
  • Take my passport or identification card in order to control me or my movements.

How do I get more help?

Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides free civil legal help to low-income people. Contact us to see if you qualify:

  • Apply anytime online at;
  • Call our Helpline at 1-800-666-6899 (Helpline hours are limited).

What help can I find at MLSA?

  • Legal advice and representation;
  • Referrals to volunteer attorneys and other providers;
  • Self-help clinics and materials.




Last Review and Update: Jul 28, 2017
Volver arriba