Earned Income Tax Credit Checklist
Authored By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)
§W-2's for you, your spouse, and your children
§Information about any other income forms, such as:
ØIncome from 1099s (example: self-employment)
ØIncome from Unemployment
ØIncome from interest, pension, retirement, annuity, rental property, and other
§Correct birth names and social security numbers for you, spouse, and children
§Information about child care, if you used it
ØName, phone number, and address of child care facility
ØAmount paid during the year for child care
ØFederal taxpayer identification number or SS# of facility or individual
ØWhether or not your employer pays part of the child care
§Your Bank Account's Routing Number and Your Email Address. You ONLY need this if you want to have the IRS directly deposit money into your bank account OR if you want to e-file your returns. (If you don't have a bank or email account, ICAN can still help you complete your returns!)
To start using I-CAN! EIC,go on-line to www.icanefile.org.
Do you want to e-file?
E-filing can help you get your refund faster! You can e-file if you have your own email address. You will need to check your e-mail 3-5 days after you have completed these forms to see if the IRS accepts or rejects them. If you do not have an email address, just mail in your taxes.
Need More Time?
If you need more time or cannot finish today, use your password that I-CAN! prints for you. You can use it to return to your work anytime.
Keep Your Copies!
When you are done, I-CAN will print a copy of tax forms for you to keep, even if you e-file. If you e-file, you will need to also sign and send in a form called Form 8453 OL. (It is only one-page.)
You Finished I-CAN! EIC!
What Do I Do Next? It's easy:
- If you are MAILING in your returns, then you need t
- Sign them
- Put them in an envelope with the correct postage
- Mail them to the address on the cover sheet
- Keep a copy for yourself
- If you are E-FILING your returns, then you must:
- Sign Form 8453 OL and send it in a stamped envelope to the IRS
- Check your email in 2 - 4 days to see if the IRS confirms or rejects your e-filed return
- SAVE your ICAN! EIC password. If you need to re-efile or change anything later, you can go back to your return with your password.
- Keep a copy of your e-filed returns for your records.